Wednesday, May 24, 2017

ROSA Spotlight: Romy Sommer



In an effort to really get to know each other, we thought it would be a good idea to publish a series of interviews with fellow ROSA members to learn more about who they are, what they've published and what makes them tick.

We'd like ALL our members to feature, so please drop our chairperson, Romy an email on romy@romancewriters.co.za and she'll send you some questions to answer.

And speaking of our Chair, to kickoff our ROSA Spotlight Interviews, here's Romy Sommer.


What is the last romance novel you read?

Tina Reber’s Love Unscripted. Warning: it’s a long book – don’t read it if you’re looking for a quick evening’s entertainment!

What type of Romance / what genre do you write?

I write contemporary fairy tale romances and shorter 1920s historical romances.

Are you published yet? If so, with whom?

I have 11 novels and novellas published. My first three novellas were originally published by The Wild Rose Press, but I’ve subsequently re-released them on my own, and my four contemporary romances are published by HarperCollins. I’ve also self-published under another name.

What was the inspiration behind your last book?

The book I currently have out on submission began as fan fiction. I never thought I’d be the person to write fan fiction, but it was a fun story that was never intended to go anywhere, just a diversion when ‘real’ writing was stressing me out. For the first 4 years it was saved on my desktop as ‘Just for fun’. In the six years since I started it, it’s grown very far from that original story and has taken on a life of its own. I really hope this story finds a home with an editor who will love it as much as I do!

Not a Fairy Tale was nominated for the RWA's Rita Award in 2016

What is your proudest achievement as a writer?

Being nominated for an RWA Rita award. Knowing how stiff the competition for that award is, and that as a peer review award it’s even harder to win over other authors, this nomination was a massive honour for me.

What advice would you give someone who tells you they want to write?

Don’t quit! The writers who are published are the ones who never gave up.

What keeps you motivated to write?

I would keep on writing regardless, but the one thing that keeps me motivated is the dream of doing this full-time. Until I have dozens of books out there, all earning, some winning acclaim, I’m not giving up!

Tell us about the first love story you ever wrote.

The first love story I wrote was actually two parallel stories about two women whose lives intersect even though they don’t meet until the very end. I didn’t even realize it was a romance until my friend (and co-ROSA founder) Mandy read it and told me I had a ‘voice for Romance’. I went out and bought a pile of second hand romances to find out what she meant, and I’ve been hooked ever since.

What is the best part about being part of ROSA?

The fact that ROSA even exists! Once upon a time, this organization was nothing more than a figment of my imagination. It astounds me how far we’ve come!

Connect with Romy!
Website: www.romysommer.com
Facebook page: https://web.facebook.com/RomySommerAuthor/ 
Twitter: @romy_s 
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/RomySommer
Pinterest: https://za.pinterest.com/romysommer/
 

2 comments: