Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Meet ROSA member, Rebecca Crowley



In an effort to really get to know each other, we thought it would be a good idea to publish a series of interviews with fellow ROSA members to learn more about who they are, what they've published and what makes them tick. We'd like ALL our members to feature, so please drop our chairperson, Romy an email on romy@romancewriters.co.za and she'll send you some questions to answer.

Today we put the spotlight on ROSA's Deputy Chairperson, Rebecca Crowley!


What is the last romance novel you read? 

His Ex's Well Kept Secret by Joss Wood (also a ROSA Member)

What type of Romance / what genre do you write?

Contemporary

Are you published yet? If so, with whom?

Current series (Atlanta Skyline) releasing from Kensington's Lyrical Press

What do you love most about writing?

Getting to know and inhabit characters whose lives are so different to mine!

And what is your biggest challenge as a writer?

Maintaining a daily word count. Between full-time work and toddler mamahood - plus a husband I like to see occasionally! - it's a struggle.

Do you have a playlist while you write?

I usually pick a "theme song" for each book but prefer to write without music playing.


What was the inspiration behind your last book?

The last book I completed is Saving Hearts, the third in the Atlanta Skyline trilogy. It's about a goalkeeper with a gambling addiction, and was inspired by an article I read about what makes a great goalkeeper. It's a strange, solitary position, and I wanted to explore what kind of man could excel in it.

What is your proudest achievement as a writer?

It might be cliche, but I really treasure every single contract I'm offered. That a publisher takes a leap of faith on my story and puts up their own money to wager on its success is the best feedback I could ever receive.

What advice would you give someone who tells you they want to write?

Commit to one project and see it through before starting anything else! Ten half-finished manuscripts will get you nowhere fast.

If you could give your life / dreams / goals a hashtag, what would it be?

#adventure, because it's what I live for. :-)

What keeps you motivated to write?

It's not so much motivation as compulsion. I'd write even if I never published a word, I think.

What is your writing schedule like - do you write every day / a certain time of day?

I'm much more committed when I'm on deadline - I try to get in at least 1K words per day, usually in the late afternoon when I have some breathing space in my work day and haven't yet gone home to the domestic onslaught. When I'm not on deadline I can be very, very unproductive for long stretches of time.

Tell us about the first love story you ever wrote.

When I was 9 I wrote a story about a girl who caught a wild turtle and then sorrowfully released it again - that was certainly a tale of love found and lost!

What is the best part about being part of ROSA?

I love ROSACon, and less specifically cherish the connections I've made with other writers, as writing can be such an isolating experience.

Connect with Rebecca!

rebeccacrowley.net
facebook.com/rebeccacrowleywrites
Twitter: @rachelmaybe

No comments:

Post a Comment